Community for Health and Independence Pre-Application
Pre-Application – Project Narrative
Development would be equally split between Sacramento County and El Dorado Hills
AKT Development and UC Davis Health submitted a proposal to both El Dorado County and the City of Folsom on Friday December 22, 2023 for a project described as a “Community for Health and Independence” that would provide a residential development for healthy senior communities, and residential housing for disabled residents. The project proposes 4000 residential housing units in Sacramento County, and 4000 residential housing units in El Dorado Hills. Parks, Schools, and commercial development would also occur in both counties – with El Dorado Hills initially planned for one Elementary/Middle School site, which would appear to be inside the boundaries of the tiny Latrobe Union School District.
The project would also feature A 200-acre UC Davis teaching, research and health complex planned as the centerpiece of the community.
The Project seeks annexation into the city of Folsom for parcels south of the Folsom City limit in Sacramento County along the Sacramento and El Dorado County lines south of White Rock Road and the future Empire Ranch Rd US50 interchange. Parcels for the in El Dorado Hills are primarily located west and south of the EDH Business Park, and the Four Seasons and Heritage residential villages. The project would also construct a roadway system that would extend from the future Empire Ranch Rd extension to White Rock Road in Sacramento County, and provide a connector road/beltway from White Rock Rd in Sacramento County south and east to Latrobe Road in El Dorado County
In El Dorado Hills, the County zoning designations for the majority of the parcels and adjacent parcels are:
- AG-40 – Agricultutral Grazing (40 acre minimum)
- IL – Industrial Light
- RL-80 – Rural Lands (80 acre minimum)
- RL-40 – Rural Lands (40 acre minimum)
- PA-40 – Planned Agricultural (40 acre minimum)
- LA-40 – Limited Agricultural (40 acre minimum)
- RE-10 – Residential Estate (10 acre minimum)
Project documents have not yet been posted on the El Dorado County Planning Department website, or the County ETRAKiT website.
Rough overlay image – not to scale
The City of Folsom has posted the project proposal on their website. A copy of the City of Folsom Proposal packet is also posted here on the EDH APAC website. The parcel list for the project in both Sacramento County and El Dorado County is also posted here on the EDH APAC website.
The City of Folsom website has the following description of the project, and some initial details:
Conceptual Annexation Proposal
On December 22, 2023, the City of Folsom received a conceptual annexation and development proposal from AKT and UC Davis for their “Community for Healthy Living and Independence” project. The proposed project includes land in both Sacramento and El Dorado counties. The western portion of the project, located adjacent to Folsom in unincorporated Sacramento County, includes 1,416 acres and the proposed development of 4,511 housing units along with commercial, office, and medical research uses. City staff will review the proposal and present their analysis and findings to the City Council for discussion and further direction in the next two to three months.
The proposed development area is located south of White Rock Road and adjacent to the Sacramento County border with El Dorado County. Any proposed annexation that involves a change to the City’s boundaries is subject to the review and approval of Sacramento County’s Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCo) in addition to approval by the Folsom City Council.
The details on the City of Folsom website further goes on to describe the tentative schedule:
It is anticipated that the review of the proposal will take approximately 2 to 3 months. At the conclusion of staff analysis, an item will be brought forward to the City Council for consideration and direction to staff. A more detailed schedule will be provided in the near future.
The residential housing densities proposed in the concept document vary from Low Density residential single family homes to High Density Multifamily.
Commercial, Business, Retail
The Project narrative submitted to the City of Folsom includes descriptions of development areas for work, business, and shopping.
- Village Mixed Use | Mixed-use (MU)designated sites include retail, office, services (0.5 FAR), and residential uses (9-30du/ac)
- Commercial + Research | The Plan includes General Commercial (GC) and Regional Commercial (RC) areas for neighborhood retail and a Lifestyle Center, as well as Industrial/Office Park (IND/OP) areas intended for Research and Development.
- UC Davis Site/Complex | The Plan includes a large complex for UC Davis (IND/OP) that is proposed to serve as a center for the study of aging and longevity.
- Schools | Elementary schools and a middle school (PQP) are sited within neighborhoods and will provide an employment opportunity within the community.
- Civic Safety| Law enforcement and fire protection services are planned in the MU Village area
Transportation Plan in El Dorado County
The project envisions a new connector road from White Rock Road in Sacramento County that is identified as “Village Parkway” that would roughly travel north to south through the project area. In El Dorado County a connector road from “Village Parkway” identified as “Latrobe Connector” would cross over from Sacramento County to El Dorado County in a west to east direction providing a connection to Latrobe Road south of the EDH Business Park and the Heritage and Blackstone Villages. Another connector road, further to the south, would extend from Village Parkway eastward into El Dorado County, and is identified as “Rural Parkway”.
Since the project spans across municipalities in two counties, the Sacramento County side of the project is referred to as the “West Plan Area” in the Project Narrative document, and the El Dorado County side of the project is referred to as the “East Plan Area”.
East Plan Area Land Use
The residential land use in El Dorado County proposes:
- 295 Single Family units over 105 acres
- 2157 Single Family High Density units over 490 acres
- 337 Multi-Family Low Density units over 46 acres
- 232 Multi-Family Medium Density units over 19 acres
- 311 Multi-Family High Density units over 19 acres
The Age-Target Residential land use proposes
- 526 Age Targeted Single Family High Density units over 119 acres
- 144 Age Targeted Multi-Family Low Density units over 20 acres
- 160 Age Targeted Multi-Family High Density units over 10 acres
Mixed Use land use proposes
- 144 Mixed Use Village residential units over 32 acres
Commercial, Employment and Civic land use proposes
- 10 acres of General Commercial use
- 100 acres of industrial/Office Park UC Davis Health Complex
- 15 acres of Industrial/Office Park Research
- 10 acres for public or quasi public Schools
This project envisions 8000 housing units over 4000 acres in two counties. The applicants seek an annexation of the property in Sacramento County to the City of Folsom, requiring approval of Sacramento County LAFCO.
It would also require extensive analysis in El Dorado County for a General Plan Amendment, parcel rezones, and likely a Specific Plan, and Planned Development entitlement.
Project Links on El Dorado County Planning Department Website
Community for Health and Independence (PA23-0015)